It’s unfortunate that I’ve reached this point, since I thought quicksilver was a really awesome piece of software. Unfortunately, it’s just gotten to be completely unstable. Beach balls became all too common. So common, that I was willing to cough up $20 for LaunchBar after only trying it out for 10 minutes. I never was a power user of quicksilver - I did like a lot of things in theory, but I never took the time to memorize the keyboard shortcuts.
- I just bought a 1TB Western Digital drive. I am stoked. However, I tried to format the drive on my Mac (Leopard) and got the error “File system formatter failed” when I tried to format the disk as MacOS Extended (Journaled). Not cool. I found this forum thread which suggested using multiple partitions to solve the problem. When I was trying this, I went into options and changed the partition scheme from Master Boot Record to GUID partition table.
- c++ mysql xcode I need to compile something and use the MySQL C++ library. I have mysql and mysql++ already compiled, I won’t go over how to do that now. I added the following code to the top of my source: #include <mysql++.h> I got an error /Users/jhaddad/dev/search_engine/main.cpp:4:21: error: mysql++.h: No such file or directory Not cool. How to fix: In XCode, open up the project settings (under the project menu).
- api testing mac I wasn’t able to find anything that I liked. I basically wanted a front end for curl with bookmarks. Check out my cleverly named Api Tester. No docs yet, but I hope it’s self explanatory. Click the plus on the bottom left to add a bookmark. It’s freeware. Or, just download.
- For a while I had to use a Windows box for my development. Fortunately, I was able to make a good case for my company to switch me to a MacBook Pro. One of the tools that took me a while to track down was a regex testing app. On Windows, I was a big fan of Regex Coach, which is a great app. I was happy to find QuRegExmm. It’s not nearly as feature rich as Regex coach, but it seems to be good enough for me, since I really only want to test regular expressions, not really do anything else with it.
- I ran into an issue trying to get Imagemagick (convert) working on OSX last night. I had compiled libjpeg and installed it, but when I would compile convert, it would not have jpeg support. I found this post on dzone, which I followed and was able to use libjpeg just fine. tar zxvf jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz cd jpeg-6b cp /usr/share/libtool/config.sub . cp /usr/share/libtool/config.guess . ./configure --enable-shared --enable-static make sudo make install sudo ranlib /usr/local/lib/libjpeg.